Sunday 3 July 2011

Bone Arrow Heads

After making a few bone fish hooks, I decided to make some Arrow heads as well. All made with hand tools (Razor saw, hand files and sand paper)
I use a Cow shin for the bone.  First I sawed the bone into pieces, then drew on the shape in pencil and sawed off the excess. The longest part of the job was trying to get the bone fairly flat, as the shin bone is round, so a long process of sanding the basic arrow head shape on some sand paper on a flat surface.
Once the basic shape was right, I then moved on to a course hand file and then on to some finer needle files for the final shaping. Last process was hand sanding with fine sand paper.
Next job will be to mount them on Arrow shafts.
gm





1 comment:

  1. I've made one or two larger ones in the past, though I didn't finish them up quite as nice as you did. I don't know if I'd have the skill OR the patience to craft ones the size that you made.

    ReplyDelete